Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Spices

I received an email asking what spices do i always have on hand in my spice rack. In my pantries, either here in NYC or at the cabin I always keep the following on hand:

Ground Spices

Lemon Myrtle
File
Sage
Shiso
Allspice
annatto
cardamom
chili powder
chipotle
cinnamon- the real stuff
cassia - what everyone uses as cinnamon
clove
cumin
ginger
mustard
chinese hot mustard
paprika
smoked paprika
turmeric
wasabi
mace
cayenne


Dried

I try to always use fresh but you always need a back up and some are not that easy to find at the markets, including the Chelsea Market which has almost everything.

Basil
Bay leaf
Chervil
Chives
Cilantro
Dill
Lavender
Oregano
Marjoram
Parsley
Rosemary
Sage
Sorrel
Tarragon
Thyme
Sumac
mace


Seeds and Pods

Dill
perilla
ajwain
allspice
anardana
anise
annatto
caraway
celery
chipotle
red pepper
cloves
coriander
cumin
fennel
mahlab
mustard seeds, black and yellow
nutmeg
peppercorns, white and black
poppy
saffron
sesame
star anise
vanilla
Cinnamon


Salt - I have too many types of salt, black, red and so on.

There is a great source also online to get some spices that are hard to find, it is www.mountainroseherbs.com

I will post what else i keep in the pantry soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment